The original HRDownloads platform had grown from a simple feature set into a suite. Products were bundled into different functional packages, and most products had poor interoperability between them.
With so many silos of functionality we decided to start by focusing on one high value user flow that was hindered by the current setup. By redesigning this flow as a pilot it would help inform later roadmap plans and design strategies.
HRDownloads allows people to assign documents (like contracts, training, etc...) to different employees. These documents get tracked, allowing admins to follow-up on assignments.
However the original flow was spread across multiple products in a difficult manner that felt disjointed for users. They were forced to traverse different areas of the product while cognitively carrying the task forward themselves.
To improve this flow we needed to break down the siloed nature of the products.
This meant that rather than force the user to go elsewhere to complete a flow requiring multiple products, the products should "come to them" when needed.
While on the surface this was a single type of flow, there were many wrinkles that we had to be aware of based on our knowledge of existing usage.
To help account for and align on these ideas we used themes up front to represent broad ideas.
We often found it critical to translate research results into consumable, relatable nuggets for various stakeholders. Here are some samples of the "bite-sized" ways in which we communicated the value of research.
The user testing helped inform changes to several places where the flow touched.
While the flow technically starts in one area, once documents are assigned they become persistent, trackable tasks from a Dashboard (and elsewhere). Here are a few examples of changes that came from this.
While this case study was focused on a major part of the project, other work was done prior to that to map the existing work and create structure. Here are some artifacts from earlier in the project.